Saturday, October 8, 2011

Blast from the photography past!


While I was pregnant I was ALL about researching newborn photography! All the hats, blankets, sleeping newborns...I wanted to capture my baby like that!! All in auto-mode, mind you. (Still too scared to shoot in manual!)

Here are some examples of my photography "geniousness" (and oh, yes, I loved to wonky colors back then!). 

If I would have read more tutorials on newborn photography, I would have known that the best sleepy-baby-photos come from being shot within the first 10-14 days after birth. I waited a month. BUT...I just had my first baby! I was exhausted, breastfeeding like a maniac, EXHAUSTED...really, the last thing on my mind at the time was photography. But, at least I tried, right?

I did know that my bedroom had the best natural light and I made a little make-shift studio with what I had (on my bed). I ordered a few knitted hats from an Etsy seller and the black fabric came from my baby wrap! haha!! Hey, it worked. And did I mention that I love photoshop? :) Oh, and I watermarked my name!

Ben's one-month-old "photo shoot"!

 Taken on December 27, 2010

Here I was trying to figure out placement of light and trying to get that shot of newborns with just their eyelashes in focus. Yea...this is NOT that shot. Haha!

Ben at two months.

(I do notice that I am getting a LITTLE better at finding natural light. Even though he's not facing it in the right direction, I know what times during the day are the best times.)

Here are some more shots I took of him at three months old using the black baby carrier wrap draped over my headboard in my bedroom. Loved them then, and really dislike them now! Still in Auto mode.

Taken on February 24, 2011:


(hahaa! I love this crying one!)

Okay. So, I know some of these aren't totally horrendous, but it was probably just a fluke.

Oh, CM...if I had only found you sooner! 

2 comments:

  1. Carolyn, these photos are just precious! One of the pacts I made with myself before I started getting "educated" is that no matter what, I would always treasure the photos of my family's past. If I'm even tempted to cringe when I look at them, (mine are way worse than yours!), I remind myself that if my eyes can not look past the wonky colors or bad white balance and allow my heart to see the beauty of our memories captured, then I am no longer the kind of photographer I want to be. Your baby is beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I feel the same way of CM... I look back at my first photos of Ben and flinch. I still love them, though ;) LOVE these!!!

    ReplyDelete